Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Abandon All Reason

A huge {minor} victory this morning!  

My husband and I have been running and cross-training for the past couple of months in order to keep our bodies in tip-top condition as we go about our service to the Lord.  This morning I finally hit 3.5 miles in an average pace under 10 minutes.  This is a big deal for a girl who used to hate running!



After finishing my run for today, I left the dripping humidity of the outside air and walked in the front door.  Setting my coffee mug on the table across from Josh, I smiled.  He stared long at me.  "What's your inspiration?"

Good question. 

I find inspiration in so many different things.  Here is a short list:

1.  God.  He created our bodies to work marvelously and fluidly.  As long as we are able, we should get the very best use out of them for His glory alone.

2.  My family.  As far as it depends on me and I am able, I want to be a blessing to them with abundant energy!

3.  10-year-old Wendy When I was 10 years old, I used to roam through the woods of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan for hours on end, picking wildflowers and dreaming.  I don't want to let that little girl down by dreaming smaller dreams now that I am grown.

4.  My friend, Ben.  Ben is in a wheelchair and for two years now has surfed at the oceanfront with a group of  volunteers in place to assist him in conquering all fear and going for the gusto.  That he would trust God and his friends and get out there with full courage?  Amazing.  If Ben can do that; I can surely run around the block one more time.

5.  The sheer joy of it.  I listen to uplifting, masterfully played melodies while I exercise.  As the musician works their instrument to the best of their ability; I pace my footsteps to the rhythm, telling myself I am also an artist and this is my craft.

There are many, many more reasons why I run.  But these are the beginnings.  These are the ones that keep me lacing up my shoes just one more day. 

And how to get started if you want to exercise but just have no motivation?   

Abandon all reason. 

That's right.  I read a running article the other day that said the best way to start is to drop all of the excuses you can think of not to start:  not enough time, too tired, no workout clothes, no will, etc.  The fact is, we will always find a million reasons not to do something new or hard. 

Drop them.  Abandon all of those reasons, lace up your shoes and start. 

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."  ~Ecclesiates 9:10

Enjoy today,





 P.S.  You are welcome here!  Thank you for stopping by for a visit.  Feel free to join the conversation by leaving a comment and sharing your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment