Monday, December 31, 2012

Adventures in Green {Smoothies}

The advent of a new year always brings with it new goals and new adventures, and this year is no different.  I find myself a bit nervous and excited at the same time about the journey I am about to step into tomorrow.

You're probably thinking something major is about to happen, right?

Before the anticipation gets too thick in here, let me fill you in on the details.  Josh and I are going to drink only green smoothies for the entire month of January.  The seed for this newest heist was planted when we watched the Netflix documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" last week.  Great flick if you haven't seen it!  Highly inspirational and informative regarding our current thought processes and general eating habits in today's culture. 
Frothy Green Goodness
In any case, Josh looked over at me after the movie and said, "I'd like to do green smoothies for the month of January."  Oh my. 

Now, I'm generally a pretty adventurous person; but I'm not gonna lie.  This one has me a bit nervous.  Oh, I know we'll pull through just fine in the long run...but truth be told, I have been gulping down the coffee the past two days like the Mayans were right and the world is ending.  And sure, I've eaten an extra dark chocolate truffle, or ten, just knowing what's coming.  And perhaps I took down Ms. Linnie's entire tin of homemade rocky road fudge on Sunday without even telling anyone that I had it in my possession in the first place. 

Can you blame me?  Really?  I'm about to just drink my food through a straw for 31 days.  A little grace, please.

Nonetheless, I am excited.  Sure, I moan and whine a bit before the initial commencement; but mark my words, halfway into the month of smoothiedom when even my skin turns green and a bit Hulkesque, I will be the poster child for green smoothies.  I will proclaim their goodness far and wide and seek to share their immense benefits with the world. 

And be sure and check back in here frequently, as I will be updating our progress daily throughout the month!

So, here we go. On the brink of the great cleanse of 2013, I wish you the best in all of your 2013 New Year's goals.  I lift high my glass of green goodness and toast to your hopes and dreams for the days ahead.

Happy New Year!

My Recipe for a basic Green Smoothie:

1/2 cup ice
1 cup water
Fill blender with greens to the top.  Our greens of preference are spinach or kale.  We also have used cabbage, collards, Romaine lettuce and anything else green and raw! 

Blend well.  This will blend down to about 1/3 of a blender-full.

Now add in:
4-5 bananas
1/2 cup peanut butter or raw oats (for protein)
any other fruit you please (frozen berries, fresh pineapple, oranges, apples, etc.)

Blend away and serve!  Drink in all of those wonderful antioxidants and feel the health and wellness.

This is a basic loose template.  You can swap out almost any ingredients you choose.  The goal is to  blend up a glass of health and enjoy!

Enjoy today,




P.S. You are welcome here! Thank you for stopping by for a visit. Feel free to join the conversation by leaving a comment and sharing your thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. To God be the glory, you and Josh can do this, I already know you will secceed and will be at your very best health. While Nick and I are starting at breakfast LOL and working our way towards two a day. You are a sweet sweet person, Windy, Thank you for posting.

    Love and prayers Ncik and Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Nick & Teresa! And yes, absolutely, to God alone be the glory!!! He created our bodies in His image, and it is always our goal to use them for Him alone. Thank you for the well wishes, and we will be praying for your new journey of starting some smoothies!

    ReplyDelete