Monday, January 30, 2012

Return to Innocence

"You see that baby right there?"  He nods his head in the direction of a mama holding her sweet little guy, standing behind me.  This one, this boy, is all smiles.  His eyes literally dance.

Source:  Bing Images
 We sit at a round table, surrounded by people in a crowded room.

"I just love babies.  So innocent and cute."  He continues.

I meet  his gaze and smile and nod.  "Fresh life.  God is so good to always give fresh life."

"We're nothing like them, you know.  They're so innocent; so pure.  Don't have any of those devilish thoughts going through their heads all the time."  His face falls as he speaks this.

"I'm curious, do you have a relationship with God?"  I query.  Praying as I speak, I follow the leading of the Holy Spirit.

"Nah.  Can't say that I do.  Too much goin' on, you know?  Too much chaos.  Seems like no matter what I do, there's chaos all around me.  Never fails.  People lyin', backstabbing and walking out on you.  Chaos."

Still praying, and trembling on the inside, for now we are on Holy Ground, I continue.

"You're right.  He is a cute baby!  And so full of joy and life!"

My new friend smiles and nods.

I explain very gently how when we repent of our sin, ask God to forgive us and invite Him into our hearts and lives, He comes in to dwell inside of us.

"And you know what happens then?  See that baby right there?  That innocence, that purity you're talking about?  We become just like him.  With God living inside of us, His joy and peace flow through us and cleanse our hearts and minds, and we start all over again.  Just like that baby.  Fresh, innocent new life.  And then, no matter what chaos is going on around you, that joy and light of God will shine out of you and begin to affect the people around you."

I press on.  "There will always be chaos.  Our situations will twist and turn in life.  There will be good times and bad.  But when the God of peace lives inside your heart, and you put all of your hope in Him and believe what He has to say, the chaos won't consume you.  You will be consumed with peace."

He looks hard into my eyes, gauging if I believe the words I am speaking.  I meet his scrutiny with an open face, hiding nothing.  For that is how our God meets us.  Open, honest and welcoming.

Source:  Bing Images
 "Whoever believes in Me, as scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them."  (Jesus) ~ John 7:38

Enjoy today,


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment