Monday, November 28, 2011

A Joyful Simplicity

A few years back I was watching a show on the Travel Channel about a country in Europe where life moved a bit slower than the frenetic pace we are often accustomed to.  Laying on the couch, sprawled out with strep throat, I was soaking in every peaceful video clip that was shown; every descriptive word coming from the host's script.

Source:  Bing Images
He used a phrase that has stayed with me for the past five years.  In describing the people living in a particular village he stated, "There is a joyful simplicity that marks the rhythm of their days".  Now that's just plain good.  A joyful simplicity.

Immediately I wrote that phrase everywhere:  every chalkboard in my house, every card and letter written and in my journal.  I prayed it over and over again.  "Lord, grant our family a joyful simplicity to our days."  And in time, He has.

Now, of course, as with all things in life, this ebbs and flows a bit.  There are busier seasons than others, and there are days when deadlines must be met.  There are times when life is turned completely upside-down.  But even in the midst of all of that, even when everything goes topsy-turvy, there is peace available. 

This is a peace that never leaves.  Because this peace is a person, the Prince of Peace, Jesus Christ.

And a natural result of this peace, this dwelling in communion with God, is a joyful simplicity that marks the rhythm of our days.

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."  ~John 14:27

Enjoy today,

No comments:

Post a Comment