Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Bit of Unfurling


Night is falling, the day is done.  Time to simmer the house down, put my feet up and relax a bit.  The children are all nestled snug in their beds, while visions of sugarplums...no, not really.  But they are all washed clean after their nightly bath and tucked away for the evening, reading their books quietly by soft glow of their bedside lamps.

A sweet vintage bathtub soap dish gifted by a friend, cupping a bar of Lavender Tea Tree

After filling my cherry red tea kettle with fresh water and setting it atop the stove to boil, I light the wick of a small candle.  The flame glimmers for a moment, then expands into a rush of flame with that familiar burst of air.  These sounds, scents; they soothe and lull the senses after a full day.

Tea with honey and homemade whole wheat peanut butter cookies

Other evenings I may reach for a good book and curl up on the couch in a favorite pair of flannel pajamas.  

"Safely Home" borrowed from a friend, a must read!

Or perhaps I simply sit and crochet another dishcloth for a friend.  This soft 100 per cent cotton yarn unfurling itself, flowing seamlessly through my fingers as I weave the hook back and forth, stills my spirit and clears my mind.  It always catches me by surprise when perceived problems I've been mentally turning over seem to work themselves out.  The tightly wound bundle of yarn slowly gives way to a cushy cloth with a purpose.  I like this.

Current dishcloth in progress
Tonight, set aside a bit of time to relax and regroup.  A warm bath, a clean cozy bed and a good book can work wonders.

"Be still, and know that I AM God."  ~Psalm 46:10

Enjoy today,


No comments:

Post a Comment