Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A New Tactic

I've had a relapse.  I hope you understand just how vulnerable I am being here.  This is not comfortable for me to admit by any means.  But here we go.


I have been crunching ice again all week long.

It's true.  It started again as just holding a frosty cube in my mouth and allowing it to dissolve slowly.  As the icy cold slowly gave way to a cool puddle,  I told myself there was no harm done.  I wasn't actually chewing the ice, right?

I gradually transitioned  to gently cradling a chunk of ice between my molars.  The frozen matter held a weight of comfortable familiarity while resting there.  Physiologically, it feels so right.  Rationally, I know it is so very wrong. 

It was only a matter of time from there.  I knew I was playing with fire.

I crunched.

And from there, I slowly began sneaking a glass of ice in seclusion.  One while at my computer, another while driving; and yet still more while cleaning the house.

Then, the final step, the dinner table.  I took down the ice while eating with my family.

They held me accountable and quickly reminded me of my commitment.

I am now investing in gum.  The robust flavors in Clove and Black Jack gum will provide a nice diversion, but I usually don't allow myself to chew them since they are not sugarless.  However, desperate times call for desperate measures. 

In the devising of my new strategy, I will be chewing this gum for approximately 30 days until the ice habit has been completely obliterated.  Pulverized, if you will.

I'll keep you posted.

"No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it."  ~I Corinthians 10:13

What are you struggling with today?  Give it to God and ask for His help.  He will answer you and help you, and He will provide a way out.  Take that way. 

Enjoy today,


No comments:

Post a Comment