Tuesday, March 13, 2012

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Sunshine, smoothies, siblings, straw, smiles...Is there a more perfect combination??
This past Saturday, our family got out in the backyard and worked the ground.  We tilled a nice section of land for a kitchen veggie and herb garden.  After tilling, we hauled wagon after wagon of fertile, nutrient-rich compost from my pile behind the shed that I had cultivated last year.  Piling that on top of the freshly-broken ground, we mixed it in a bit.

Teamwork!
Once the aged compost was added, we piled eight inches or so of straw on top of the whole deal.  The straw will help to keep the weeds at bay, as well as continue to feed the soil.

Our family never uses any form of pesticide or chemical in our garden or on our lawn.  We love to grow what we eat, and eat what we grow.  

Getting the job done
If I had to describe my gardening style and methods in one word, it would be this:  No-Fuss. 


I think gardening is really a lot simpler than many of us make it out to be in our minds.  I've known many people over the years who have expressed a desire to garden but feel overwhelmed by the sheer volume of information out there.

Honestly, it's really not that difficult.  It is the oldest profession known to man, dating back to Adam and Eve's work and joy in the garden of Eden.  

You see, we are just conduits.  We plant the seeds, we water the plants, we snip away the dead foliage, add organic matter.  But God makes it grow.  He provides all of the raw materials:  sunshine, seeds, water.  We simply tend, and He grows it.

I don't worry or stress much if my method is the right one, or the newest trend.  I keep it natural and simple, do my part and trust God to bring the harvest.  


How about you?  How does your garden grow?

Enjoy today,

No comments:

Post a Comment