Saturday, September 1, 2012

Your Purple Crayon

"Mama?"

"Yes, honey?"

I paused in the doorway, turning back around to answer my youngest.

Five-year-old Isaac looked up at me, smiling, "Is 'Harold and the Purple Crayon' real?"

"What do you mean, Isaac?"

"I mean, did it really happen?  With the purple crayon?  CAN it really happen?"

I smiled gently, casually.  "No, baby.  It's not real.  It's a made-up story."

Isaac nodded and set back to the business of reading his book.



Heading back to the kitchen, I picked up my broom with the handle all bent from the boys' Star Wars misadventures.  I swept the floor I've swept a thousand times and thought to myself, "If only..." 

If only "Harold and the Purple Crayon" were real. 

What would I draw on my blank white canvas, bringing to life with a quick swipe of my purple crayon? 

The broom stood still in my hands.  Because I realized, I would draw my life exactly as it is. 

I would draw brilliantly happy pictures of my husband, children and home.  Pictures of my church family madly in love with God.  Pictures of the body of Christ working together, serving together, worshiping together. 

I don't think I would put my crayon down at that point, though.  No.  A purple crayon that can draw out your dreams into reality?  That's too amazing an opportunity to be missed.

No, I would keep on scrawling.  I would draw a world with everyone smiling and understanding the great love their Creator, God has for them.  I would keep drawing a place where people understood the saving grace of Jesus Christ.

And then, once all of those people were smiling and receiving that love from God, I would draw them sharing with each other in a reflection of His love for us.  Streams of purple would flow into rushing rivers of flowing clean water.  Scribbles would turn into food that everyone would share until all bellies were filled.  A house and a mommy and daddy for every child.

That's what I would do with my crayon. 

But you see, don't we each hold a purple crayon?  Isn't that what the very Creator, God Himself, breathed into our beings when He formed us and made us?  He puts into the hand of each of us a purple crayon.  And with our lives, we draw. 

What are you drawing with your crayon?

Enjoy Today,




P.S.  You are welcome here!  Thank you for stopping by for a visit.  Feel free to join the conversation by leaving a comment and sharing your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment