Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Keep Your Eyelids Up

Pin It


This little wooden pelican sets atop our living room mantel, beckoning me back to the sea. Its rough wooden pieces joined together have been worn smooth by the hands of time and possibly small children.

I picked it up in a thrift shop nestled in a small coastal town in the Outer Banks of North Carolina last fall. I wasn't really looking for anything in particular that day; just had a steaming cup of coffee in hand and was enjoying a slow browse.

Then I spied it. For $1.99, I knew that little pelican would send memories of the sea washing over me every time my glance would happen to brush it.

One of my all-time favorite quotes from a children's book is found in Dr. Seuss' first-published book, "And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street":

"When I leave home to walk to school,
Dad always says to me,
'Marco, keep your eyelids up
And see what you can see.'"


I think that's pretty sage advice. How much more would we see if our eyelids were up and we were seeing what we could see? How much are we missing because our eyes are downcast, or even closed?

So, today, keep your eyelids up. See what you can see. And you just might be surprised.

Enjoy Today,

No comments:

Post a Comment