Saturday, March 2, 2013

Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor On The Bedpost Overnight?

Once, when I was a girl, I made a commitment to chew the same stick of Wrigley's Extra Spearmint gum for as many consecutive days as possible.  The self-inflicted parameters were as follows:

1.  If I was awake, I was chewing unless I was brushing my teeth or eating. 

2.  The wad stayed on the post of the old wooden bunk bed I slept in. 

That was pretty much it as far as the rules were concerned.  Two rules, plain and simple.  I embraced the challenge wholeheartedly and went to town on the chewing.  By day nine, the once other-worldly green hue gave way to Girl Scout uniform tan.  At day fourteen it was more the consistency of rubber than that of chewing gum as we know it.  As I recall, that sticky mass made it to 21 days of chewing before it finally began to break down.  Or I began to break down.  I'm not exactly sure which.

In any case, it was a grand experiment and one that lives on in the recesses of my childhood memories along with summer days of wild blueberry picking and hurling our bodies off of smooth rocks in Lake Superior into the chilling waters below.  Good stuff indeed.

I've grown now, but the thrill of a challenge still entices me.  Hence, 31 days of walking in March.  This one is fairly simple; absolutely not as difficult as other summits I've sought to reach.

I stepped out this evening again with Ben skipping along beside me (yes, I tell you, my dog skips on walks; he's that happy!).  A curious thing always happens when I walk.  I set out thinking, "I don't have time for this."  Or, "Why am I walking for 31 days?  This is so silly."  Two more minutes in and I get it.

Immediately all of the swirling thoughts in my brain begin to slide into place.  I'm whispering prayers aloud into the evening air, "Lord, I'm Yours.  I don't see what You see.  But You see.  And that's Enough."  

"I trust You alone."

"Some trust in horses and some in chariots, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God."

And then I quiet and still and simply walk and listen.  And He whispers into my heart.

Enjoy today,





P.S. You are welcome here! Thank you for stopping by for a visit. Feel free to join the conversation by leaving a comment and sharing your thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Mom! I loved those summer days picking wild blueberries in the woods and watching our little dog Annie eat them off the bushes. :) Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete