Saturday, January 12, 2013

Adventures In Green {Smoothies}: Day 12

A huge benefit to this smoothie process is that our compost pile is growing by heaps and pounds.  Did you catch that?  Not leaps and bounds, but heaps and pounds?  Nice, right?  Yeah, I've been working on that one all day.

Every bit we toss in our compost pile will serve to add fresh nutrients and organic matter back into our garden once it has decomposed. 

Our compost pile is a simple structure in our backyard made up of multiple shipping pallets as walls, lassoed together at the corners with some good strong cording.  We have three piles side by side, which I loosely rotate.  One pile functions as the active pile which I am currently adding to daily.  Once the active pile reaches the top of the pallets, I leave that pile to simmer and move on to the next pile.  I begin adding to that daily, while giving the first pile a few good turns a couple times a week.  When the new active pile reaches the top of the pallets, I move to the third section, and so on.

Every time a section of compost is nice and decomposed, I work it into our garden soil.  I add a good bit of other organic matter beyond kitchen scraps throughout the year:  garden waste, grass clippings, dried leaves, newspaper, toilet paper rolls, hair from haircuts, straw and aged horse manure.  

I haven't purchased compost in a number of years because we just keep using what we have on hand around us in this fashion.

Composting is an excellent way to be a good steward of the resources around us and save money at the same time!

Enjoy today,




P.S. You are welcome here! Thank you for stopping by for a visit. Feel free to join the conversation by leaving a comment and sharing your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive