Monday, January 14, 2013

Adventures In Green {Smoothies}: Day 14

I have spent the evening studying the seed catalog, charting my garden planting dates and researching baby chicks.  Chicks!  I can barely contain my excitement.  As soon as I can find our own little soap shop flock of fuzzballs, they're moving in.  We're going to love and cuddle them up, because, as my wise farming friend counseled me on the phone tonight, "When it comes to chickens, you get out what you put in."  

So there you have it. I have already commissioned my three children that the moment those chickies enter our door, their job is to love, love, love them up and nurture them 24/7.  Why?  Because happy chickens = lots of eggs.  Hopefully.

And apparently, I won't be needing a coop for a good 2-4 months or so after getting the little babies.  Which is good news!  This means we can get our chicks and raise them inside for a bit while we continue to plan and potentially build our dream-coop.

On the smoothie front of things, this was a hard day.  So hard, in fact, that I wrote this statement to myself on our chalkboard and read it out loud (to myself) about 20 times today.  The majority of the world is living on far less calories than I have consumed today in my smoothies, and many of them are quite content.  I focused on that.

There was a moment when I considered eating a homemade oatmeal-date-walnut cookie. Seriously.  My hand may even have trembled a bit as I set them out on napkins for my children.

Then Isaac walked in and it was like the Cindy Lou Who scene straight out of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas".  

"Mom,"  He said.

"Mama.  I thought about sneaking those cookies earlier, but I didn't do it."  His joy-filled smile filled the kitchen.

"Oh, baby.  I'm so glad.  Because you remembered that wouldn't be right to sneak, and you didn't do it."

His smile continued as he flew out the back door.

My hand stopped its trembling and my spirit quieted.  Sure, there would have been nothing wrong with me taking one in theory.  But I've made a commitment, and I'm sticking to it.  And there you have it.

Enjoy today,




P.S. You are welcome here! Thank you for stopping by for a visit. Feel free to join the conversation by leaving a comment and sharing your thoughts. 

2 comments:

  1. Chicks are SO fun! It's really funny when they're running around like crazy and then they just fall over fast asleep with their little necks streached out. You'll enjoy watching them for hours. We've raised 2 batches and the more you hold and love on them, the more friendly they will be as adults.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Heidi, I can't wait! I love the part about them running 'round then falling over with their necks stretched out. So looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive